"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you."

-Genghis Khan

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Photos Ahoy

Well, it has been just over a week here in the land of the nomads, and while I have been wandering a bit, I have still not managed to see the things that make Mongolia so special. I have not seen a single yak, camel, nor horse. I did nearly step in a huge pile of horse business however, so I know they are around. A weekend horse riding trip had been in the works, but those bloody tourists snatched up all the horses. I suppose I will have to wait.

But onto the good stuff, the pictures. Here is one of me and my newest Mongolian friend who I met on the steps of the Zaisan war memorial, commemorating Mongolian soldiers lost during World War II.


I apologize for the low resolution. I am still learning to work my new camera. I am trying to do my best Will Forte impersonation, but I think I fall a bit short. Falconer I am not. That bird was heavy though, and I'm not talking Marty McFly heavy here. I only had to hold the pose for about 30 seconds, but my arm was killing the entire time. I escaped with my face intact though, a real accomplishment I think.

Here is said memorial, perched atop the hill. Amazing view of the city from the top.




And what set of pictures would be complete without a little Genghis Khan. The man is everywhere in this country, even carved into mountains. The following picture shows both Genghi in all their glory: Cochrane and Khan together at last! (I changed the camera to high res just in time to capture this gem)


Ah to be young and egocentric again.

More pics will be posted in the coming days and weeks. Still deciding how I want to do it. To Flickr or to Facebook? That is the question, only unlike Hamlet, this one has no clear answer.

My large ego will be put in check this week as I start teaching my Mongolians about life, love, and American History. I'd tell you about it, but I try to keep my personal life and work life separate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Keith,

I like your t-shirt! Also I like that falcon, but it's no yak. No one is going to be be impressed until you give us a photo of yourself riding a yak, so please deliver promptly.

xxoo

Flynn said...

Falconry is BADASS.

That is all.