"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you."

-Genghis Khan

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Losing my B card (aka Canada vs. Mongolia part 1)

Hello World!

I have been telling people that I would set up a travel blog and here it is. It is not much, just a spot for me to share my experiences through stories and photos. For those of you not in the know, I am spending the coming year in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, teaching English and American Studies at the National University of Mongolia. I have not left yet, but am slated to leave on Wednesday. This blog, like Bill Nye, is intended to both educate and to entertain, but since I haven't left yet, I don't expect this first post to do either. I can however offer a few pre-trip musings on Canada/Mongolia relations:

As a Canadian, I think I can really relate to the Mongolian cause. Canada and Mongolia are similar in many ways. They are both vast, mostly uninhabitable masses of land, both have to live under the constant shadow of their southern neighbour, and both are inseparable from their trademark hoofed animals. Canada has the Moose, and Mongolia the horse. In fact, these two animals appear to be identical to the untrained eye.

Can you pick out which of these hoofed beasts helped to build history's largest empire in the 13th century?














Me neither? But I am excited to learn.

As a Canadian in Mongolia I hope to be part Louis Riel and part Genghis Khan. Put these two national icons together and who do you get? That's right, the great Shaolin warrior Louis Khan (actually pronounced Liu Kang, but not bad right?).




I will therefore approach this experience the same way Liu approached the Mortal Kombat Tournament. I will live with honor and avenge my fallen brothers. I will shoot my students with fireballs of knowledge, and use my bicycle kick, not as a weapon, but as a means of transport in this oil dependent world. I may be beaten at times, but I will always find the strength when given the option to continue.

Today is Sunday, 3 days until M-day. If anyone has any words of wisdom or sagely advice before I leave, write me, or leave a comment. In the coming weeks and months this will surely contain many interesting stories and pictures, but this is all I've got right now. Sorry for wasting your time, but I promise to make it up to you in the swiftest of fashions.

7 comments:

jcc said...

Good luck Keithie! You're my favorite brother, I don't care what anyone else says.

Jane and Dave Reynolds said...

Hi there...

Looks like you were up past the rowing victory... and productive too. Love the blog. I'll post lesson plans for your students!!!

Drink the butter tea and whatever shots they serve on the side. Kate would like a pet Yak please, and Andy a sword for the Mongol invasion! WE loved the settlers game and hope to find one somewhere soon. You are a great teacher already!

Xo Jane, Dave, Andy, Kate :)

Jane and Dave Reynolds said...

Hi Keith, Just seeing if this works! Great blog.
Dave

Unknown said...

When you get to Mongolia, make sure to eat some Mongolian BBQ and let everyone know how it compares with the stuff in America.

Genghis Cochrane said...

Actually the time stamp is already in Mongolian time. Though I have been known to stay up all night ;)

DF said...

I'm glad you recognize Liu Kang's greatness. Be on the lookout for his Shaolin brother, Kung Lao. That hat can slice even the hardest of hearts!

God Speed Brother Cochrane. If things really hit the fan here in Afghanistan I'll jump on a yak and we'll go conquer the world on our noble steeds, of course to be named Rimando and Dingle-Dangs.

Bet said...

Hope you arrived safe and sound. We're up to 15 medals - silver women's tower diving and gold for individual equestrian.
Bet