"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you."

-Genghis Khan

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mutton To It

Well, this is it. The last day on native soil. Or should I say First Nation soil? As Ben Affleck first said in Armageddon, "I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again." As I have not booked my return flight, I truly don't know when I'll be back. Unfortunately for me however, , I don't have the safety net that is Bruce Willis watching my back. Nope, I'm all on my own for this one.

Unlike Ben though, I leave knowing that I will come back. I have to, because there are just too many things that I'm going to miss about this place. For starters, I will miss time zones.
Apparently, time zones were invented by the white man as no Asian country has more than one distinct zone. Unless you count Russia, but who in their right mind would do something like that?


The next thing I will miss is American TV. I fear the Olympic coverage will not be up to par in Mongolia, and I will miss watching Canada excel in such high profile sports as equestrian and trampoline. I also don't think I will be able to exist having to watch LOST online or even worse... having to purchase it on iTunes. There's some things they prepared me for during orientation, but having to wait ONE DAY to see where and when Desmond time travels to next was not one of them.


I had thought this would be an increasingly nostalgic and extensive list, but apparently America is not that great. If all I could come up with to miss are time zones and Henry Ian Cusick than I say So Long Stink Town!

In 24 hours I will be be in Beijing, jockeying with Chinese businessmen for the best seat at the airport bar, and in 24 more I will be starting my new life in Mongolia, hopefully riding a horse or sizzipin' on some mizzare's milk. But don't worry. To all my homies back in America and scattered across the globe, I will pour the first sip out for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Just wanted to say that if *I* were leaving-on-a-not-necessarily-round-trip-jet plane, the first thing I'd miss would be Henry Ian Cusick and his amazing fans! :D Excellent taste you have, dear...most excellent.

Cheers
Karen
HIC Group (The Band)