"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you."

-Genghis Khan

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Importance of Being Mongolian

"You can take the boy out of the theater, but you can't take the theater out of the boy."

Chinggis Khan (preceding a(nother) brutal beating from his disgusted father)

I begin this post with an apology. I have come close to killing this blog, but intend to revive it in my final Mongolian month.

A blog you see is like a flower. Water it and it will grow. Shit on it and it will bloom. Well after so many (4 at most) disappointed followers have shat on me and my blogging skills, I am finally back with a keyboard in lieu of a watering can and fresh life experiences in lieu of sunshine.

On the topic of sunshine, spring has finally sprung, and summer is just around the corner. There is a saying in Mongolia: "Never trust the spring sky" for Mongolian weather is more erratic than their drivers. While I prance around town in stylish short pants and complimentary Princeton shades, the Mongolians continue to wear long johns, tuques, and down jackets, in fear that the weather will turn its mighty wrath against them. I have taken their hesitance in stride, dominating local outdoor basketball courts, scarfing untouched ice cream, and even losing the old shirt every once in a while. If you thought a Canadian winter can make a boy pasty, you ain't seen nothing yet.

But I digress. The biggest news I have to report is that I finally fulfilled a dream eight years in the making and played the role of Algernon in the UB Players production of Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of being Earnest." I read the play in high school and had been dying to play the part ever since. Who knew I would have to travel halfway around the world in order to finally find a theater company where I would be the most qualified for the role. Small pond baby. Small pond. I opted to play Algie as a closeted homosexual, inciting people to come up to me afterward telling me that I was perfect for the part and that it was the role I was born to play. I'll let you be the judge.



Here's me and by brother Earnest (the very talented Dan Macdonald). Notice the Mongolian furniture in our very colonial take on Wilde.


And this classic mustache shot. Closeted Homosexual? Pssshhh. More like closeted Tom Selleck.

It might be an opportune time for me to mention now that the crew of the play awarded me the "Illusions of Grandeur Award" following the production. Philistines! All of them!

The UB Players is Mongolia's first and only expat theater company, a group known primarily for their love of alcohol, socializing, and high society. Earnest was a fitting choice as it simultaneously celebrates and tears down these very ideals. Our particular group was also tearing down pillars of its own as a group made up of Australian volunteers, Fullbright Scholars, and 100% of PIA Mongolia was a far cry from the Ambassadors and diplomats that usually grace the UB Players stage. This was reflected in the quality of the show as well.

Putting on a play anywhere is a struggle, but in Mongolia it becomes a veritable free for all. Amazing that in the world's least densely populated country we were unable to find a real rehearsal space, being forced to run lines in a dingy, dog filled, basement. Tech rehearsals are known to be long and drawn out, but try doing it with a technician who has just come back from a two hour long date with the sweet vodka vixens. On top of this, all of our performances had to start later than intended due to a social dancing club that dominated the adjacent ballroom. Amazing that for 7 nights straight, there was a live band and over 200 ecstatic Mongolians shaking their groove thangs from 6-8. In a country not known for its punctuality (Mongolian time = +1-2 hours), it is fun to see what people actually care to show up on time for.

I am feeling a bit confused as to how to spend my evenings these days, but I think first on my list is going to be to secure my membership card to this very exclusive dance party. If I put my name on the list now, I just might be able to score a spot before I leave allowing me to dance the Foxtrot to the Tetris theme 7 nights a week. If I haven't made Chinggis proud already, becoming lord of the dance would surely be the straw that broke the camel's back.

More frequent postings to come as I procrastinate putting in my grades and finding a job.

Until next time,

Chinggis (not Genghis anymore) Cochrane

No comments: