"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you."

-Genghis Khan

Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'd Rather be a Blogger than a Tool

Actually, what the hell is the difference?

I am back fellow hoard and less powerful than ever. After searching UB unsuccessfully for spare laptop parts, I finally gave in and bought a second hand monitor. The thing cost me a whopping 30,000 Togrogs (about $25) and I still feel like I got ripped off. I think I had this same monitor on my original Gateway 2000 PC. Now if only I could find a copy of Simcity it would be like 5th grade all over again.

The big news I have to report is that the strike is finally over. Actually, its been over for days. My amazing negotiating skills got the teachers to call off the strike. Unfortunately, our pay wasn't actually raised. It was basically the least successful strike in history. I was invited to the School Director's private soccer game, and I think we should just have our department play the administration. If we win, we get the pay raise, and if they win, I will personally pay for their hospital bills.

This means that school is back in session. My first lesson plan back on the job was teaching my adult students how to express preference using phrases like "I prefer" "I'd rather" and "Given the choice". In order to hammer home the point I even used the Paul Simon classic "El Condor Pasa".

I'd rather be a hammer than a nail,
If I could, I surely would.

I'd rather Mr. Simon didn't rip off a bunch of helpless Peruvians, but who am I to complain? Anyway, the students did really well, especially one overachiever, let's call him Steve, who corralled me after class. The exchange went a little bit like this:

Steve: Hello Keith.
Genghis: What's up my brother?
Steve: Where are you going tonight?
Genghis: I'm going to go get loaded with some friends. It's my friends birthday tonight. WOOO!!! Where are you going?
Steve: I'm going to my church. I am a Christian. What is your religion.
Genghis: I am not really a religious man Steve.
Steve: I'd rather be a Christian than a normal person.

Calling me a normal person was a bit of a Freudian slip, but we're not getting into those until next week. I didn't know whether to be offended by his statement or impressed at how great a teacher I am. He proceeded to invite me to his church, telling me there was an American missionary who would "really like to teach me." Even though I said "No, thank you", Steve has promised to bring me two copies of the Bible, one in English and one in Mongolian so I may read and possibly decide to change my heathen ways. I am looking forward to the Mongolian take on Christianity. The mutton of Christ anyone? I actually really like Steve, and having never read the Bible, Mongolia is as good a place as any to start.

Was going to post some pictures, but Mongolian Internet is about as reliable as Dominik Hasek in NHL 2002. I will try again later. Just like the Dominater.

7 comments:

Dash said...

go with good teacher. Its amazing how much more honest people can be when the language is not their first.

I said to my counterpart this morning "I am going on holiday, so I won't be available on that date".

His response was "that's ok, you can reschedule your holiday".

Nice chap

jcc said...

Unfortunately
I am pretty sure you are
Both blogger and tool

Tess said...

keith!
i'm in the bayous of louisiana (don't ask) and had the interesting opportunity to go to a megachurch thinger on sunday. fascinating--it started with a rock band (lights! drums! dancers!) playing worship songs, included a little information on business ($11725 to run the church that weekend...please donate!), and then proceeded to preach that the government and taxes are the enemy. if that whole mongolian christianity thing doesn't work out, the louisiana evangelical just might...
tess

Flynn said...

I'd like to throw down the gauntlet in announcing that the annual Princeton In Asia Cambodia-Mongolia blogging challenge, which currently only exists in my head, is on like Monkey Kong.

You can follow my adventures at http://blogs.princeton.edu/pia/personal/aflynn/ and compare them with your own respectable but doomed endeavor.

Also, there is a possibility Chris Shay will also reboot The Shay Rebellion in Cambodia, so beware.

DF said...

nice hasek reference. rimando lives on in all of us. always remember that things didn't use to be this way...they didn't use to be this way at all.

Anonymous said...

i'd rather be as reliable as monik in nhl 2002 than dayton flyers goalie beauchemin in winter 2007. but who could withstand the fearsome trenton devils attack and the 5-point performance of some guy whose name i don't remember

Genghis Cochrane said...

Zeus,

I appreciate the comment, but don't embarrass yourself. Its Manek. And don't even compare that French Canadian philanderer that is Beauchemont to the great Roman Candle.

GC